I hope this makes its way to Obama’s desk

That was a massive sandwich you guys. Okay, I also had an ice cream.

On Saturday night, New Year’s Eve, a little before midnight, I found out that Obama signed H.R. 1540, the National Defense Authorization Act, which is a bullet in the chest of American freedom. Obama signed the NDAA on Dec. 31, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. It took me several minutes to digest what this meant; for me, for my family, for my fellow Americans. After reading a few articles about the bill, and trying to make sense of what those numbers meant (12/31/11 6:30 p.m.) I finally saw the truth. And it was disgusting. Like, throwing a handful of soiled baby diapers against a wall and watching them slide down SLOOOWWWLLLYYY.

When something is done under the cover of darkness, it’s usually wrong. And the time at which President Obama signed this bill was essentially under the cover of darkness. The last 3 months of the year is the busiest time for most Americans. We, The People, spend a great deal of time away from our news feeds, e-mail alerts, twitter accounts, and nightly news broadcasts as we prepare for the holidays with friends, family and food. College and high school students who have become a politi-cultural force to be reckoned with in the the age of a social media onslaught were on winter break. And as all of us were preparing for the excitement of back-to-back long weekends, we were swamped at work, planning vacations, balancing fourth quarter budgets, grading papers, and tying up loose ends on projects that no one wants on their desks come Jan. 3. Signing this bill on Dec. 31, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. is like taking a child out of her bed while her parents sleep. If you’re going to kidnap someone, President Obama, don’t let your handwriting match the ransom note.

On New Year’s Eve, those that we Americans elect in hopes of upholding the law and the constitution of the United States – congressmen and women, senators and those who have the privilege of sitting in the oval office – reached the peak of Mt. Shoddy Leadership. This was calculated hypocrisy and deceit at its finest. After the ball dropped on New Year’s Eve, and I ate half-a-bag too many black bean tortilla chips, I went to bed with a heavy heart. Twenty-twelve was supposed to be the start of a great year for all of us. It was supposed to be an overzealous karate kick to the achilles tendon of Last Year when so many people were struggling in our country and around the world. But instead of allowing the American people to welcome the new year with hope, our president committed a sort of spiritual genocide against us while congress lurked in the shadows like over-payed employees in the devil’s minion workshop.

I voted for Obama when he ran against John McCain four years ago. Not because I’d rather vote for a goat than John McCain (yes, that’s true too), but because I really liked Obama. He had a freshness and an honesty about him. He was charismatic and had so many great ideas accompanied by what appeared to be humility and a genuine desire to make our country better. I bet Obama’s a really nice guy; he’s probably a good father and husband, but I think he turned out to be a subpar leader. Obama spent his whole presidency trying not to “rock the boat.” But a strong leader isn’t afraid to rock the boat because sometimes that boat needs to be rocked.

I thought the milk bit at the end of this video was going to be obvious to most people, but I’ve been getting some questions about it so I figured I’d go ahead and explain it here. The milk was representative of the NDAA. And I was Obama. Milk is delicious (yes it is, Tina!) and it’s good for your body, and there were some items in H.R. 1540 that were good for our country. I prefer to drink non-fat organic milk, but in this video I was being bullied by someone off-camera who was telling me to drink the milk that I really didn’t want to drink, just like Obama has been bullied by Congress and lobbyists “off-camera” his whole presidency. So I drank the milk and President Obama signed the bill. And in the end, it was so disgusting it was kind of hilarious.

Oh, and that last part about poisoning the already sensitive stomachs of the lactose intolerant? Well, that was Obama’s bill punching every American-Muslim in the groin because apparently, slavery and Japanese Internment just didn’t seem to fill enough pages in our history books.

Statement by the President on H.R. 1540 (via whitehouse.gov)

Nationwide NDAA 2012 Congressional Protest

9 comments for “I hope this makes its way to Obama’s desk

1. Lilianna
    January 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Obama Says he won’t indefinitely detain US citizens…he’ll just order someone else to do it. He’s a snake.

• January 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

@Lilianna, Right? Because telling someone else to do the wrong thing somehow makes it okay? Or less your fault.

2. January 7, 2012 at 5:51 AM

the last part reminds me of this famous statement:
    “First they came for the communists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.”

The question is: Who is next? Perhaps you…

3. Shahed
    January 6, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I didn’t know about this, so thanks for the info :)

That’s really scary; My home recently got raided by the FBI because my dad is involved in the Arab community where I live. I was hoping the effect of the Patriot Act would lessen and over time be improved to protect citizen’s rights, not actually be renewed into another act.

This is kind of depressing. I kind of liked Obama.

I sincerely hope that the next president is not a republican.

4. January 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I can’t come close to comparing what we deal with in this country as Muslims to the struggle South Africans experienced under apartheid, or what Jews experienced under Hitler. But it is hard not to wonder how far things can go. At one time, I never would have imagined that I would become a second class citizen simply because I choose to worship God differently than others might, but that is exactly how I feel now. How long before we are all required to register with the government? Sure, it sounds absurd now. We all hope that it’s so absurd that it never comes into fruition. But history shows that plenty of foolishness that seems too far fetched for a normal person’s imagination can become reality. I shudder at the thought of what the future holds for us. And like you, I voted for Obama because he seemed to truly care about the future of our country. Sadly, he has put the needs of our country aside for the sake of maintaining diplomacy with the folks on “the other side of the aisle”.

5. Jen
    January 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I read about this yesterday morning and I was very disturbed by it. I read it under the headline of “Obama Says He CAN Detain People…But Won’t.”
    Like that’s sooo reassuring.

This basically pokes due process in the eye and MOST people (our age) aren’t even concerned or educated about what’s going on.

Wake up people. What Kim K. is doing is NOT important. Your FREEDOM and RIGHTS at stake.

6. Farah
    January 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

It is really disappointing to hear this… As an American Muslim I’m afraid of what is to come.

“its so ridiculous it needs its own word” hahah youre awesome!

7. January 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Hey Sabrina,

I’m kind of depressed by this, since Canada under our conservative (i.e. republican) government, tends to mimic american security policies and just generally because it’s a sad end to the year. Last year had a lot of revolutions and fanfare that everyone noticed and celebrated, while this bill, which basically blows a rasberry at all of that is quietly signed in at literally the eleventh hour.

He promised to close Gauntanamo, he was elected by millions of Americans and supported across the world, because voters and observers alike saw Obama as a sign that America had made a concrete transition from racist and systematic atrocities of generations past.

When you say, “it could happen to you,” you are not fear-monger. History backs you up. Slavery ended less than 200 years ago, and there are still generations alive today who can recall Japanese internment camps and the Civil Rights movement.

With movies like The Help winning Oscars and tugging on emotional nerves, people need to understand that a new generation of American citizens of a different persuasion are experiencing those very same, very relevant feelings of disenfranchisement and fear for ourselves and our children.

Thanks for posting this.

8. Miriam
    January 2, 2012 at 6:39 AM

bottom line- MUSLIMS ARE NOT SAFE HERE ANYMORE!!!! LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO WITNESS IS THE START OF AN ERA CALLED “THE MUSLIM ABDUCTION”. THIS NEW LAW IS ONLY LEGALIZING WHAT THE GOVERNMENT HAS ALREADY BEEN DOING SINCE 9/11!!!!
    HIDE YOUR MEN, HIDE YOUR FAMILIES… THE GOVERNMENT IS ABDUCTING PEOPLE UP IN HERE.

Comments are closed.